Sunday, April 13, 2008

Noah's promotion to sales director

Many people have asked why I chose Noah as a spokesperson for this business. Their are a variety of reasons. The first reason presented itself when I realized that I need to be ethical in marking my product given the role that I play in the hospital. As a social worker I can not use my job for personal gain. I also need to avoid even the perception of conflict. For this reason I recognized that it would be beneficial to have another person who would be in charge of sales of this product. I had approached Bax, my oldest child but he was not interested in any public role. When I approached Noah, he jumped at the idea. He is much more social and outgoing and likes to help people.


The second reason is that Noah is currently in his life skills year. I will give you a bit of background on what this means. I worked as a child protection social worker for 10 years. I had the opportunity to witness countless parent teen conflicts. One of the common factors in all of these conflicts was that the parent and teen no longer maintained a relationship. It is very difficult as a parent to provide direction or set limits for a teenager who no longer has relational ties to you. My goal in raising my children was to ensure that this relationship would be strong. I wanted to take an opportunity to invest in relationship prior to their teenage years. We decided that because our local school only went up to grade 7 we pay special attention to the grade 8 year. Noah and I already had the opportunity to take a 2 week motorcycle trip to Alaska in the fall. We also were open to jump on any opportunity which allowed bonding time between father and son. The sales opportunity will assist Noah in taking some knowledge that he has learned in school and incorporate it in a practical way. He will also be introduced to other business concepts that he may utilize later in life. I think this will be a good learning opportunity and time well spent.

No comments: