Sunday, April 13, 2008

Goals of Simple Pine Boxes

I think that some of my vision is outlined in the blog header. The idea of empowering people to take back their choice when it comes to death. If people want to have a home funeral and not involve any professionals, I would like to be able to provide them the information so they can achieve that goal. (many people are not even aware that this is possible). If people want to chose a traditional funeral with a professional provider and would like a unique box (totally finished and decorated) I want to provide them with this option.

Another very important principle is that I want facilitate dialogue around death. One of the issues that I experience almost daily in a hospital environment is so many people have not had honest discussions with their loved ones about the what ifs. I see situations where people are no longer able to express their own wishes and then the responsibility shifts to family members. The first question they are asked is have you talked about this scenario. Too often there has been no discussion and then the family has to struggle with trying to determine the right decision. Often there is disagreement between family members and in some families this struggle has led to break down and cutting of ties. If I can create a process that would facilitate this discussion while the person is healthy and full of life it would save a whole lot conflict later in life. I am reminded by a carpenter that I met in Salmon Arm. She showed me her final resting box, which was full of books and the top was tucked in behind. She advised me that when she built the bookcase she added a small box (which resembled a book and was stored in the bottom shelf). This box contained all of her final wishes. I think that is why I like the idea of "casket furniture". If a person buys a piece of furniture you can't help but think about the end and what it might look like. It think that I need to include a pamphlet or some written material so that I could plant a seed and encourage people to write down their preferences.




HOW THEN SHALL WE LIVE OUR LIVES


Too often casket furniture is thought to be unappealing because people are reminded that we all are going to leave this body. I think the opposite is true. I think that from a psychological perspective if a person is reminded several times a week of their own mortality (by seeing the piece of furniture) they would have the opportunity to make healthier choices. So for those people who are over committed and have difficulty saying no the furniture serves as a gentle reminder. (which one of us at the end of our lives wish we would have spend more time at work as opposed to time with family or friends)

No comments: