Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Dragon's Den



This past friday I saw in the paper that the show Dragon's Den was doing auditions in Prince George on the following Monday. We had 2 days to prepare our sales pitch. I thought this might be a great place to practice our sales pitch for simple pine boxes. I asked Noah to be my director of sales and encouraged him to provided the 3 minute sales pitch. My title was head of research and development, however for the purpose of the audition I was going to be his "Vanna White" We filled in an online application. One of the questions we had some fun with was the question if we had any other investors. I had put down my grandma liked the idea so much she was "all in"





I constructed a scale model of the boxes so we could show people the variety of ways to decorate the box. We finished the box the morning of the auditions. I then helped Noah practise for the sales pitch. The show provided a format. First define the problem and then explain how your product solves this specific problem. Although Noah was nervous he did a fabulous job. The producer stated that she thought that we had a unique product and also that the product would play well for a TV audience. If we pass this round we may be given a $500 cheque and asked to attend the taping of the show in Toronto.


This side of the box shows the green line of products. Natural manilla rope handles, all wood construction, salvage beetle killed pine. The boards would be dried in the solar kiln that we are currently building on our property.


A pet box which was added as an afterthought. I realized during the interview that given the urban population this would be a product in high demand. (By the way no animal was hurt in the taking of this photograph and no we have not sold any pet boxes at this point)


A flower box that Noah's friend Arial painted for us.












Traditional box

1 comment:

John Neumann said...

Hi Brent,
I bet there is a good market for your "pet box" as well as a nice place to bury such a box. Have you checked out what is happening at the Pineview pet cemetery?